Sunday, December 21, 2014

Bring it on, World!


So some events of the last week (both mine and those of some friends) have led me to reflect on some of the bad things that have happened in my life. I will be the first to admit, I have not had the worst life and I am grateful for everything that I have had in it because I know it is more than so many others could even dream. But I am no stranger to pain, heartbreak, bad luck, and generally shit hitting the fan for me. And I am a very sensitive and emotional person... but guess what? Pain happens. Trust gets broken. You get put in shitty situations, which you may or may not have inadvertently led yourself into. We get beaten up and broken down in so many ways.

The great part about all of this bullshit happening is that it gives us a chance. A chance to learn, grow, strengthen ourselves, and maybe become a person so much stronger than you ever thought you could be. The bad things that happen to us make us weak, or they make us strong. The choice is yours.

On Friday, a friend said to me "You have an amazing ability to get yourself into bad situations. You should try to fix that." To which I replied, "But, why? I live, I learn, I grow. I get my ass kicked regularly by life, but it brought me here, and here is the best place I have ever been. And if nothing completely disastrous happens and I learn and grow, then: bring it on, world!"

 But I wasn't always that person. I used to deeply and genuinely hate myself. I was so insecure I could never be myself, I was only the person I thought whomever I was interacting with wanted me to be. And I am not perfect. Sometimes, life gets the best of me and I get grumpy, upset and downhearted for a while.

Feel the pain. Get upset. Be hurt. It is okay to do that. Just remember that you will be alright. No matter what happens or how bad things get... You will be okay. There is really no other choice. Be broken forever or be okay.

So to those people out there who are having a hard time, who feel broken and beaten and destroyed...
You are broken. But you are not beaten! You can put yourself back together, and create a form stronger than the last. You will become a more beautiful person because bad situations can breed strength of character in a manner unmatched by more gentle circumstances. 

The point of all of this rambling is to encourage you to have a little faith in yourself. Find your strength, one step at a time. And also, to remind myself when I need it (as I'm sure I will).

Peace out and adventure on! 

1 comment:

  1. Very amazing coincidences have happened to you and your friend, So I am glad for you two. The story is very interesting and well written from which I couldn't blink while following the chain of incidences described within the story.
    Thanks for sharing your valuable memory :)

    ReplyDelete